Saturday, 25 June 2016

The Bridges Have Been Burnt. They're Ours To Rebuild Now

Yesterday was a bleak day. I won't hide the fact that it started and ended in tears for me. I felt lost, betrayed and hopeless, on behalf of myself and an entire generation who desperately didn't want this. I felt future opportunities to work abroad, to work on international projects, to welcome the rest of the world and say 'look what we can do' had been snatched away from me. Worse, I felt something that I imagine I still would have done if we'd voted to stay by a small margin. A deep grief for the tolerance, love and unification of this country. Through the tears, I was desperately scrabbling in my mind to think of what I could do to change things and just couldn't. All I felt was despair and uselessness. 

That was yesterday. Today is a new day. A gloomier one maybe, but a fresh one. Yes, I woke up shattered from the sheer emotion of it all. Groggy, heavy eyed and almost – almost– submissive. I didn't want to get up. I just wanted to sleep and pretend none of this was real. The problem is though that it is, and it's our job to build from the ashes. A good (and long, in my case) night's sleep didn't make anything seem any better, but it added a small sense of distance. Distance allows you to see the bigger picture and start to think about how we can fix it - and the reality is, that our problems didn't start with the referendum. Yesterday's result was the repercussion of us failing to address some deep, long term problems in this country. 

I know I keep harping on about this, but we desperately need to do something about the press in the UK, and it's going to take more than a few well worded tweets. This is the monster that survived an entire hacking scandal and a public enquiry - largely unscathed. It survived and it survives because it throws buckets and buckets of hate in other directions. Yesterday, and throughout the campaign, lots of very nasty words were lobbed carelessly to and from supporters of both camps. We could condemn this until the soon to be unregulated, dubious quality cows come home, but it won't work unless we aim our fire at the source.

It might seem easy, in the sheer frustration of it all to call people who voted to leave horrible things such as racist or stupid, but as well as hurtful and counter-productive, it's not true and it's playing straight into the 'divide and conquer' tactics for those who want our happiness to be the price for their power and fortunes. You lie well enough, intensely enough and for long enough, and the kindest, most integral, intelligent person will start to believe you. They may not be shouting in the streets or on the internet, but that 'X' might move from one box to another at the polling station. In order to get that 'X' back in the box that is right for the country, not the powerful few, we need to work with people, not call them names. I remain incredulous that Nigel Farage can paint himself as anti-establishment, but he's been playing this (dangerous) game for many years, he's never stopped in his aims to stoke division, and he's very good at it. Defeating him is going to prove very difficult (and may well feel too little, too late), but 'difficult' becomes 'impossible' if we're aiming our fire at people who listen to him, rather than the man himself. The way forward is education, not insults.

We must not fall into the trap of blaming all politicians, and all of our press. There are MPs and journalists out there who a genuinely fighting to make the world a better place, and we'd shooting ourselves in the foot with Murdoch-shaped bullets if we failed to acknowledge that. If we were ever to be successful in removing the cancer that is the Murdoch press from this country, we'd want decent, honest people in the wings, ready to take over before we let someone else just as bad take the reins. Some people will always have different views to us, some papers will always be right-wing, but if they're fighting for the interests of making the world a better place, and not themselves, then that's ok.   

If we can somehow claw any chance of staying in the EU back, then great, let's do it, but we need to be prepared for the worst. Either way, we've got a lot to do. We must keep engaging, keep voting, keep calling out the lies of certain political elites and certain newspapers, but the age where that's enough has gone. It's on our backs now. We've got two mountains to climb. We need to address the stinking hate and disillusionment coming from people who would sell this country for a tenner if they could, but we also need to build relations with people here and across the world. One by one, person by person. Our generation needs some mighty great cheerleaders. Maybe not loud in volume, but deafening in love, resolve and a true workman's ethic in designing, engineering, building and growing a better place to live, a better ethos and a better environment for all of us. It's far from fair but it's the job in hand. We've been denied a chance to be a part of the EU. Free movement, trade, unified efforts against climate change, economic instability and assaults on our workers and humans rights, all gone. From the grassroots to Westminster, to Europe, to the rest of the world, we need to somehow create something even better. 

This isn't the post I wanted to write. I don't want to be facing an exit from the EU. I'm angry and I do want to sit and shout at the world, to blame anyone and everyone I can, but the reality is that a few nasty, selfish people led to an entire nation burning worldwide bridges. We've got to be the bigger people now and rebuild them with our love, blood, sweat and tears.  

No comments:

Post a Comment